Friday, December 29, 2017

Oh, To Be Like Thee

It seems most appropriate as we approach the new year, that we re-tune our hearts to desire nothing more than to be like Jesus. This hymn was a favorite of Frank's and is being reposted with an added video which includes audio from The Nickel Family Singers. Thank you for journeying along with us this year. We pray you will continue to be encouraged by these 200+ of my father's poems. May you grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Click the arrow above to play. If you see no video play button, click on the song title to view online.

Oh! to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Refrain:
Oh! to be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Oh! to be like Thee, full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wand’ring sinner to find.

Oh! to be like Thee, lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer, others to save.

Oh! to be like Thee, Lord, I am coming,
Now to receive th’ anointing divine;
All that I am and have I am bringing,
Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.

Oh! to be like Thee, while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love,
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897, Public Domain
Recorded on LP365: My Sheep Know My Voice, side two
Sheet music available here


No comments:

Post a Comment